Friday, August 21, 2009

Writing Lab

Lab #1

During class we wrote out fake checks and tried to figure out who originally wrote the check. Everyone first copied down the same check in their own hand writing (above) and then tore them apart into many peices. We then exchanged our torn checks with one another and put them back together. Last but not least, we analysed the writing with our 12 Characteristics Writing sheet. Based on the 12 Characteristic we were able to analyze the writing and figure out the original author. The Person who had my fake check had no trouble finding who had written my check for they said my P's where always written high, my cursive o's looked similar to cursive a's and my spacing was always somewhat cramed. After this experiment I realized my handwritting is very distict and using my own writing to fake a check would be very stupid unless I wanted to be caught in my first place. Therfore I don't think you will see my handwritting on any forged checks!

Lab #2

In another effort to discovery writing and how it relates to forensics we practiced forging signitures. I think I can clearly say that everyone had a hard time forging names free handed. Even with multiple practices I still could not make my forged signiture look as if it was possibly written by my classmate. Anyways during this experiment we also traced signitures which was a lot easier for me. I finally got the writing to look like my partners but it seems like tracing doesn't allow the writing to have much flow. By saying this I mean that all the charcters were distict and had no stray marks whereas original writings usually have marks or curves. Also tracing makes you press down harder then when writing in your own pace so the letters were a lot darker than the original writing.

2 comments:

  1. There is a common debate on whether or not handwriting analysis should be used in court. Especially if it is pencil as opposed to ink. Because pencil can be erased and is easier to forge with than ink because you can erase it. Also handwriting is so unique and cant be classified into different types it is a very tedious project and shouldn't stand alone in court as a creditable peice of evidence

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that handwriting should not be able to stand alone as a 'creditable peice of evidence'. In a solid case, I think that it can be used to supplement other forensics evidence, but because it can be forged or altered and my change over time (unlike fingerprints). Do you guys think that handwriting will ever be obsolete because of computers, and that handwriting analysis will ever just be something of the past?

    ReplyDelete